Monday, August 13, 2007

Firsts. . .



Jovey went to her first official day of "school." OK, it was a parent's day out program, but to her, it meant a new lunch box, new friends and therefore, it was school! She did super well, with no tears shed (she almost never has any separation anxiety from either of us), a beautiful painted pic that smelled of tempur paint that brought back my own childhood memories of mission friends at church, and even was moved up to the next age level of class, as the teachers thought she was "too advanced and mature" for her original classroom. All in all, it was a positive day for her as well as for Laney and me who spent time at home in the quiet together, something that happens rarely in a house with Jovey Kay!

Excited to hear about her first day away from me at a more structured setting with people she didn't know, I asked her all sorts of things as soon as I got her in the van. I'm sure she was thinkin', "Mom, please!" but she humored me and answered me with little frustration in her voice! She couldn't think of any of her new friend's names, except a little boy named Van, who in her words, "was a cute boy!" Great, already noticing the cute boys in school. So tonight, I thought that with a good nap and some time lapse, she may recall even more about her school day (a whopping 4 hours once a week). She told me more new stories, including one about a yellow one who shared the chair. Confused, I asked her to elaborate. I finally figured out what was going on, and said, "Oh. . . was there a little girl that had a yellow shirt on?" She looked wide eyed, as if she could look any differently, and said excitedly, "Yes! The yellow one shared her chair with me!" Maybe next week, she can move from referring to her as her clothing color and learn her name!

2 comments:

Nick said...

very fun to read your commentary on life!

Lela Kay said...

Thanks! It may not be a super exciting or even interesting life at times, but it sure is full of laughter and joy!