Thursday, May 08, 2008

Blog Confessional

Jovey has really been "getting" this whole God/Jesus/Bible thing lately and it has been a joy to watch and hear. Just tonight, as we were getting out of the van from a fun trip to take daddy his keys so he could unlock to retrieve his other ones out of the igntion, I jokingly referred to Jovey as a "booger pants" for doing something silly, as Jovey is so often in the habit of doing. Yes, moms and others reading this blog, it was not smart to use words that refer to bodily functions of any sort around a 3 1/2 year old who knows that "potty" words referred to at her parent's day out program are not nice to say. But not to fear, because before I could even say that I was wrong to have said such words or called her a name at all, even in jest, Jovey responded, "Mommy, you shouldn't say those kinds of words. They aren't nice. You should tell God you are sorry and try not to do it again!"

I must say that this was the first time I had been so specific for my language, which I will admit has been a bit worse than the above mentioned verbage, but she was right. I had used words that weren't respectful of her and I needed to ask for God's great grace to shower on me once again, as it does so often in my human, sinful state. So, before getting out of the van completely, we bowed our heads together and I prayed a simple prayer, "God, I am sorry that I called Jovey a name and used bad words to make her sad. I will try to do better." Jovey affirmed me by saying, "That was GREAT, momma!" And you know what? She was right. How great. . . no, how awesome and amazing that we can admit our so many shortcomings to the God who created us, knowing that we would fall so many times, in need of Him to lift us up to be a light for Him and bring Him glory, even to our 3 year old children!

Thanks, God for loving me inspite of me and thanks, Jovey, for helping mommy keep on her toes to shine a brighter light for you and your sister and all those around me!

No comments: